Soul Work is Holy Work!
Soul Work is the multicultural track at General Assembly 2009 in Salt Lake City. This track is an opportunity to share and learn about our experiences of creating diverse, anti-racist, anti-oppressive, multicultural Unitarian Universalist communities. Throughout this track we will discover methods to bring home to begin building congregations in which everyone is welcomed and welcoming.
Together, we will have the opportunity to:
- Join in spirited multicultural worship, to include services by the First Unitarian Church of San Jose. In addition to its Sunday morning worship service in English, FUCSJ has offered worship in Spanish (with simultaneous translation into English) for over ten years for a small but hearty group of Unitarian Universalists from a wide range of Latin American countries of origin
- Experience worship led by Reverend John Crestwell of Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church. Reflecting the multiculturalism of the Washington metropolitan area, Davies Memorial ‘s diversity has grown more than 40% under the leadership of Reverend Crestwell.
- Dr. Joan Schoenhals and Dr. Jim Turner of Visions, Inc. lead groups in sharing interpersonal as well as institutional experiences, creating a common lexicon, understanding modern racism, and exploring the links between oppressions – all within the context of Unitarian Universalism.
Please click the link below to explore resources provided by Visions, Inc
- Engage with panelists on what it means to live the promise of this faith, which includes a commitment to Beloved Multiracial/Multicultural Community.
There will be three panels held Friday morning:
- Healing and Belonging in a Multicultural, Multiracial Community
- Sacred Conversations about Valuing Differences and Linked Oppressions
- Beloved Multiracial and Multicultural Community as a Spiritual Practice